Senior level attention to every aspect of each transaction
Virtus BR Partners is a leading independent investment banking firm in Brazil. Founded by Eleazar de Carvalho Filho, one of the most respected banking professionals in Brazil, Virtus BR Partners is focused on providing tailored financial advice for complex transactions.
Our goal is to dedicate senior level attention to every aspect of each transaction. Virtus BR has a team of experienced professionals with a diversified background, who share the same vision about providing the best advice to the clients.
The most talented professionals
Virtus BR Partners is structured as a partnership, which allows us to attract, retain and reward the most talented professionals. Nevertheless, although Virtus BR Partners embraces a meritocracy based compensation model, we measure our performance not by short-term results, but by the long-standing relationships with our clients.
In closed transactions
Meet the Professionals
- Mr. Carvalho Filho was the Managing Partner and CEO of Unibanco Banco de Investimento (Unibanco’s Investment Banking arm), CEO of BNDES (Brazilian National Development Bank), and CEO of UBS Brazil.
- He was also Managing Director at BNDESPar, Head of the Corporate Finance Division at Banco Garantia, Director and Treasurer at Alcoa Alumínio, and Managing Director of the International Division at Citigroup/Crefisul.
- Former board member of the following companies: Petrobras, Companhia Vale do Rio Doce, Eletrobrás, São Paulo Alpargatas, amongst others and Chairman of BHP Billiton – Brazil.
- Mr. Carvalho Filho holds a bachelor’s degree in Economics from New York University and a M.A. degree in International Relations from The Johns Hopkins University.
- Mr. Bassi joined Virtus BR in July 2009. Prior to joining Virtus BR, Mr. Bassi worked in the Investment Banking division of Itaú BBA / Unibanco for 3 years as an Associate Director, being responsible for executing M&A and Equity Capital Markets transactions.
- At Itaú BBA / Unibanco, Mr. Bassi has executed several landmark transactions including (i) the dual-track of Serasa, which resulted on the sale of 65% of company’s total capital to Experian (US$1.2 bn), (ii) the asset swap between Grupo Rede and Energias do Brasil (US$745 mm), (iii) Redecard’s IPO (US$2.3 bn), and (iv) Tegma’s IPO (US$300 mm).
- Previously, Mr. Bassi was responsible for the Corporate Development Division of Submarino, actively participating in the company’s IPO and in the formation of the consumer credit JV with Cetelem.
- Mr. Bassi holds a bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering from Escola Politécnica da USP.
- Mr. Mellis joined Virtus BR in March 2015, and has over 20 years of experience in the financial services industry.
- Prior to joining Virtus BR, Mr. Mellis was CFO of LAP, a power generation company focused on renewable energy production with operations in Chile, Peru, and Panama, controlled by BTG Pactual and Pátria Investimentos. LAP has a portfolio of power generation projects, operating or under construction, with over 400 MW of installed capacity.
- From 2005 and 2011, Mr. Mellis was Head of Project Finance at Itaú BBA and Unibanco. At Itaú BBA / Unibanco, Mr. Mellis led the execution of several transactions worth over R$60 billion.
- Mr. Mellis holds bachelor’s degrees in Business Administration from FGV-SP, and in Law from USP. Mr. Mellis also holds an MBA degree from FGV-SP.
- Mr. Andrade joined Virtus BR Partners in August 2017.
- Prior to joining Virtus BR Partners, Mr. Andrade worked for three years at the Investment Banking Divisions at Brasil Plural, where he was responsible for the execution of transactions on different industries, including O&G and Infrastructure. Mr. Andrade also worked at BBM Investimentos from 2012 to 2014.
- Key transactions include: (i) Focus Energia R$773 million IPO (2021); (ii) sale of minority equity stake in BJL4 and BJL11 solar power complex (50 MWp) to Total Eren (2020); (iii) sale of solar power generation projects with 474 MWp to Pátria (2019); and (iv) advisory to MultiRio on the Joint Venture with MSC (2017).
- Mr. Andrade holds a bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering from Pontifícia Universidade Católica do Rio de Janeiro (PUC-Rio).
- Mr. Galvão joined Virtus BR in February 2017, as intern. Before becoming partner, assumed analyst and associate positions.
- Prior to joining Virtus BR Partners team, Mr. Galvão worked in IGC Partners, where he executed merger and acquisition transactions in different industries, including consumer goods, agribusiness, among others.
- Key transactions include: (i) advised AEGEA and won the auction of sanitary sewage concession of Crato, with R$ 248 million investments (2022); (ii) project finance of the Campinas-Itatiba transmission line estimated in R$ 90 million (2019); (iii) sale of 100% of the Companhia de Saneamento do Norte to AEGEA estimated in R$1.2 billion (2018); (iv) restructuring of Embraport’s debt in the amount of R$2,0 billion (2017).
- Mr. Galvão holds a bachelor’s degree in Production Engineering from Escola Politécnica da Universidade de São Paulo (USP).
- CGA and CGE certifications by ANBIMA.
- Mr. Freitas joined Virtus BR Partners in June 2022, and has over 30 years of experience in the financial services industry.
- Prior to joining Virtus BR Partners, Mr. Freitas was Managing Director of Local & International Debt Capital Markets at Citibank and Chief of Local & International Fixed Income Capital Markets at Unibanco S.A..
- Mr. Freitas has executed over 100 transactions, including: (i) issue of Natura’s International bond; (ii) issue of Raizen’s agribusiness receivables certificate; (iii) Cemig’s inaugural International bond and (iv) Codemig’s debentures (collateralized by renegotiated tax receivables).
- Mr. Freitas holds a bachelor and master’s degree in Economics from Universidade de São Paulo (USP).
- Mr. Prado joined Virtus BR in July 2009, and has over 45 years of experience in the financial services industry.
- Prior to joining Virtus BR, Mr. Prado was a consultant to the Executive Committee of Unibanco’s Corporate Bank. Previously, he was an Executive Director at Unibanco, responsible for Wholesale Credit and Risk Divisions.
- Mr. Prado also worked as the Executive Director responsible for the Middle Market Division at ABN Amro Brazil. Mr. Prado’s main responsibilities at ABN Amro also included trade finance, cash management, and syndicated loan products. Additionally, Mr. Prado was the CEO of Bandepe, after its acquisition by ABN Amro Brazil.
- Prior joining ABN Amro, Mr. Prado worked as an Executive Director of Citigroup Brazil holding several positions as a senior executive in the Asset Management (AUM of US$6 billion), FX, Trade Finance, Treasury Risk, and Capital Markets divisions.
- Mr. Prado holds a bachelor’s degree in Business Administration from FGV-SP.
- Mr. Dainesi joined Virtus BR in November 2015, and has over 35 years of experience in the financial services industry.
- Prior to joining Virtus BR, Mr. Dainesi was engaged in the turnaround of Banco Fibra. Previously, he was Credit Director at Banco Safra, where he was responsible for Corporate and Large Corporate.
- Mr. Dainesi also worked as Managing Director at Itaú Unibanco for 8 years. During his tenure, Mr. Dainesi managed the following divisions: (i) Wholesale Credit; (ii) Wholesale Risk; and (iii) Wholesale Credit Recovery.
- Additionally, Mr. Dainesi has also served as an Executive Director at Banco Interamerican Express, and as the Country Credit Officer of ABN Amro (Brazil) and Rabobank (Brazil).
- Mr. Dainesi holds a bachelor’s degree in Agronomic Engineering from USP.